Shadow Work. Some of the media creators may have made you believe that this is a scary thing. It doesn’t have to be though.
Now, don’t get me wrong, it can be deep. It’s a way of unlocking even the deepest parts of you. Obviously, if you have past experience of trauma, it may be tricky and i wouldn’t recommend diving straight in, but it can be one of the most useful parts of beginner witchcraft as it can help you truly know yourself, your energies and your triggers.
I use Shadow work sporadically, mostly because I have a silly grown-up job and I don’t always have the time, but every time I do it, even if I’m not 100% happy, I feel a weight lift off myself. Sometimes, you really just need to write things down to get them off your mind and understand what is truly going on with you.
The TLDR definition of Shadow Work is basically journaling. Which doesn’t sound nearly as scary, does it? Also, you don’t need to be an excellent writer reeling off paragraph after paragraph, bullet points will do! Never base yourself on what another can do, only do what works for you
Some basic Shadow Work prompts
Witchcraft / Your path
- Why does this matter to me?
- How will this change me? (what will i think of myself if i pursue this)
- What beliefs would I like to centre on?
- What practices would I like to learn and harness?
- What guidance do I need?
- Where can I find this?
Things that make you happy
- What qualities do i have that i am most proud of?
- What part of my day brought me the most joy?
- What made me smile today?
- What am I grateful for?
- When was the last time I felt energised?
- In what parts of my life do I find strength?
- Am I more scared of trying and failing, or not trying at all?
- In what ways do I alarm myself?
- What am I scared of?
- Which parts of my journey frighten me?
- How would I like the next chapter to go?
- What progress would I like to see?
- Why am I trying this?
- What would I like to discover about myself?
- How am I strong?
- How can I slow down?
- What do I need to let go of?
Now, these are all just starters for 10 and you can adapt them as you wish. The most important thing is that you focus on you. You are the most important thing in this world so you need to discover all of the above and more. If you ever feel like it’s getting a bit much, just put the pen down, pop the kettle on and come back to it later. It’s not something you’re being graded on and you can do it all in your own time.
If you’d like more tips on how to get started with witchcraft or would like more Shadow Work prompts, you can follow me at @NorthLondonWitch on TikTok and Instagram.
Creative comms – main image https://search.creativecommons.org/photos/370737a4-5633-4cc0-8608-ec21295d60df